Thursday, December 09, 2010

December 9, 2010

I use this blog, in part, to keep track of what I am doing.
Currently, I reattaching notes that date back to the early 1990's when I was using Brother's Keeper. In that program, notes were stored as external text files. These were imported into TMG as external exhibits, but at some point two things happened. First, some of the notes became garbled and so I combined all of them with an earlier version. That accounts for the fact that many of them now have the same information twice. Then the path changed, and the notes became detached from the the data file.
I am currently reattaching the notes, but this time internally, in what I have dubbed an Exhibit tag. I did some of them earlier, at a time I cannot now determine, and edited the notes as I went. This time, in the interest of finishing, I am not doing any editing, except in a very few cases.
Many of the most valuable notes come from Gordon Fisher's data from the early 1990s. Gordon Fisher transcribed entries from several genealogical works, which is a great help.
My data still includes a lot of extraneous, to me, people, because years ago I imported data incautiously from several gedcoms, including Gordon Fisher's.
Because I am working to actually produce something, I am putting off the cleanup of extraneous data until later.